:::ART VIDEOS:::

Updated Every Single Day! Follow This Page!

Bringing the Coolest Art Related Videos Around the Web to One Spot
Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 14, 2009

4 Rules To Be a Better Artist

Here's a few things I wish I had the mindset to do when I started. For me personally, I feel I'm 3 years behind where I should be, because of personal things.

Here's a few Fast thoughts. I want to write a more extensive paper on this later, but this is good for now.

4 Things you need to do to never stop growing as an artist.

1)Have No Ego
Having an Ego is probably the biggest thing I've seen hinder people's progress. Having an ego gives you a warped view on your own works. As an artist, you need to knit-pick every thing you do. Don't over obsess, but take a realistic,objective view on where it is you are. Look for your weaknesses and attack them systematically. Every person I've seen that's studied outside a school system, and found moderate success has had an ego.(usually the older generation) And for that they'll never get better. In their minds they have "already arrived." A closed minded way of thinking.

2)Practice Accordingly

This one is obvious. Practice, like crazy. Everyone has a different way of going about it. I'd schedule your practices. Really hit it hard for a few days, then take a day break. Or something to that extent. You'd be surprised what a break can do. But only take a break, if you feel you've worked hard enough to earn one.


3)Don't Be too Hard on Yourself

The other side of the spectrum that I see a lot, is when people think they just plain suck. Most of the time, they don't. Acknowledge what you are doing correctly and attack what you think is weak. (ex.if your cant draw hands and feet, start practicing them alot)


4)Seek Out Others Better then Yourself

This one kind of goes with the ego thing. Seek out other people that are on the same road you are, but a little bit further.(or way further) Talk their heads off. Ask them what their mind set is. If you can't speak with them try and look at their art, and figure out what process they might have used. This to me, is one of the best shortcuts. Getting input from someone who's been through the trial an error.


Just some quick thoughts.

-om20


No comments:

Post a Comment